Best US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts
Deciding where you want to go on your honeymoon is a huge decision in the future of every newly committed couple. A honeymoon is a time of celebration, relaxation, and well, fornication. You want every aspect to be perfect to make sure that every moment is special and prime to make the magic happen, and nothing starts that off better than choosing the perfect resort! So, when an old friend of mine reached out and asked if I had some amazing ideas on where to take an affordable and visually eye-popping US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts, I jumped at the chance to help him find the right place to take his bride to be.
Of course, the highly traveled traditional honeymoon spots came up, Hawaii, the Maldives, and Cancun, but I wanted to offer him something a little different. This place doesn’t require a passport for US citizens, is stunning, and offers a different vibe than staying within the US. Why not choose the US Virgin Islands as a perfect honeymoon spot? Why not go where the beaches are stunning, the water is clear, no passport is needed, and the island vibe can pulsate through your body? So, here goes the mission: how do we start planning a honeymoon and choose where we want to go?
How do We Start Planning a Honeymoon?
First, before choosing a location, I would start by asking a variety of questions. What is the vibe we want to experience? Do we want a beach or mountains? What types of activities do we want to be able to do while we are there? Do we want something more private or something where we can have experiences with other couples? What is our budget? How long do we want to go for?
For me personally, the route I would take would be to decide on my (our) requirements and then let him know my decisions. Lol. I have a rather high standard for romance, and well, the woman is always right 😉 So, what is really important on this trip? I’m thinking of a full-service spa, oceanfront, drinks, an infinity pool, and beautiful décor. One cannot get freaky in a busted-up hotel room, even if it is located directly on the beach. Personally, I’m also going to consider that I would like to have alcoholic beverages on my honeymoon to lube the atmosphere, and in places like the Maldives, this may be more complicated due to conservative religious beliefs/laws.
I’m also going to need to know about transportation and the complexities of getting to a location that is more remote in nature. Those located off the beaten path are, in many cases, more beautiful, but they can be way more complicated to get to. Additionally, I’m not going to treat this event like my typical solo travels where budget is my most important constraint, as being cheap doesn’t lend itself to romance. Getting agitated about money, transportation, or the qualities of a resort upon arrival are the last things you want to start off a lifetime of love. With that being said, in this instance, I’m choosing my focus for this article to be the perfect location of best US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts
So, Which US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts is Right for Us?
So where would I go if I was heading on my honeymoon or one heck of a trip with my guy just to get away and connect? Which island is best? Well, let’s talk about this. The US Virgin Islands are made up of 3 primary islands and a variety of smaller islets and cays. The 3 islands that most of us know are:
- St. Thomas: The most populous of the US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts, St. Thomas is known for its bustling capital, Charlotte Amalie, and its vibrant shopping and dining scene and nightlife.
- St. John: St. John is the smallest of the three main islands and is famous for its pristine beaches, lush forests, and the majority of the Virgin Islands National Park.
- St. Croix: The largest US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts, St. Croix offers a mix of natural beauty, historic sites, and cultural attractions.
So, to help you make your choice, let’s talk about each one a bit further in depth.
St. Thomas, one of the best US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts, offers a captivating honeymoon experience for couples. It’s known as the island that is a bit more upscale and commercialized, has plenty of golfing, and has a hopping nightlife that will get your juices flowing. In addition, St. Thomas offers the following:
1. Beautiful Beaches: St. Thomas is renowned for its stunning beaches with soft white sand and crystal-clear turquoise waters. Magens Bay, Coki Beach, and Sapphire Beach are just a few examples of the island’s picturesque coastal spots where you can relax, swim, snorkel, or simply soak up the sun.
2. Vibrant Culture and History: St. Thomas boasts a rich history and a vibrant cultural scene. Explore the historic town of Charlotte Amalie, with its charming colonial architecture and cobblestone streets. Visit museums, art galleries, and local markets to immerse yourselves in the island’s cultural heritage.
3. Duty-Free Shopping: St. Thomas is known as a shopping paradise, particularly for jewelry, watches, electronics, and luxury goods. You can take advantage of the island’s duty-free status and browse through a wide range of shops, boutiques, and open-air markets to find unique souvenirs or indulge in some retail therapy.
4. Water Activities: St. Thomas offers a variety of water activities for adventurous honeymooners. You can go snorkeling or scuba diving to explore colorful coral reefs and marine life, try sailing or boating excursions, or enjoy kayaking, paddle boarding, or jet skiing. The island also provides excellent opportunities for deep-sea fishing and yacht charters.
5. Sunset Cruises: Treat yourselves to a romantic sunset cruise around the island. Many operators offer private or group cruises where you can enjoy breathtaking views, sip champagne, and savor a gourmet dinner as the sun sets over the Caribbean Sea.
6. Luxury Resorts and Accommodations: St. Thomas offers a range of luxurious resorts and accommodations, many of which cater specifically to honeymooners. These resorts provide world-class amenities, private beaches, spa services, fine dining options, and honeymoon packages to ensure a memorable and romantic stay.
7. Easy Accessibility: St. Thomas is easily accessible with direct flights from several major U.S. cities. It is a U.S. territory, so U.S. citizens do not need a passport to travel there, making it a convenient and hassle-free honeymoon destination.
Honeymoon Resorts to Stay At St. Thomas
St. Thomas offers a range of luxurious resorts perfect for honeymooners. Here are some of the top highlighted honeymoon resorts I found in St. Thomas:
1. (My Top Pick): The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas: $544/night. Situated on a pristine beach in Great Bay, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas offers a luxurious and romantic retreat. The resort features elegant accommodations, a full-service spa, multiple dining options, a private catamaran for sunset cruises, and breathtaking ocean views.
2. Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort: $400/night. This upscale resort is perched on a hillside overlooking the beautiful Charlotte Amalie Harbor. It offers spacious rooms, a private beach, multiple pools, a spa, and several dining options. The resort’s Infinity Pool and Sunset Terrace provide stunning panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea.
3. Secret Harbour Beach Resort: Located on a secluded bay, Secret Harbour Beach Resort offers a peaceful and intimate setting for honeymooners. The resort features spacious suites with ocean views, a private beach, an outdoor pool, water sports activities, and an on-site restaurant and bar.
4. The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas: (varies based on timeshare ownership). Situated within the larger Ritz-Carlton resort, The Ritz-Carlton Club provides luxurious residences with stunning ocean views and upscale amenities. Guests have access to the resort’s facilities, including pools, spa services, dining options, and water activities.
5. Sugar Bay Resort & Spa: $113/night. Nestled on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Sugar Bay Resort & Spa offers comfortable accommodations and a range of amenities. The resort features a private beach, multiple pools, a spa, water sports activities, and a variety of dining options.
6. Bolongo Bay Beach Resort: $435/night. This family-owned resort offers a laid-back and intimate atmosphere for honeymooners. Bolongo Bay Beach Resort provides beachfront rooms, a private beach, water sports activities, multiple restaurants and bars, live entertainment, and friendly and attentive staff.
As you can see, each of these resorts offers various amenities and services designed to create a memorable and romantic honeymoon experience. It is recommended to check their websites or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information, availability, and pricing, just in case. I truly believe, after researching this island thoroughly, St. Thomas, with its beautiful beaches, rich culture, outdoor activities, and luxury accommodations, provides the perfect blend of relaxation, adventure, and romance for your honeymoon. If you like to try something a little different, let’s take a look at St. John.
St. John the Second Best of the US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts is yet another stunning island that offers a unique and captivating experience for honeymooners. If you’re looking for something not quite so commercialized and more private, St. John is the way to go.
The difference with St. John is that there are significantly fewer tourists as there is no major airport located on St. John due to a majority of the island being classified as a notational park. You’ll have to take a short ferry ride from St. Thomas to get here, but you’ll find the serenity and closeness with nature as you commune with your significant other. Here, I highly recommend renting a car or, at minimum, a scooter to get around as there’s not a large infrastructure for public transportation, but if you love to hike, nature, and the outdoors, you’ll love St. John.
Why you should consider St. John as your honeymoon destination
1. Natural Beauty: St. John is known for its untouched natural beauty and is home to the Virgin Islands National Park, which covers over two-thirds of the island. With lush forests, picturesque beaches, and vibrant coral reefs, the island provides a breathtaking backdrop for a romantic honeymoon.
2. Tranquility and Seclusion: St. John is known for its laid-back and tranquil atmosphere. Much of the island remains undeveloped, allowing for a sense of seclusion and privacy. You can find hidden coves, quiet beaches, and secluded hiking trails to enjoy intimate moments together.
3. World-Class Beaches: St. John is renowned for its pristine beaches with powdery white sand and crystal-clear turquoise waters. Trunk Bay, one of the most famous beaches in the Caribbean, offers an underwater snorkeling trail where you can explore colorful coral reefs and marine life together.
4. Hiking and Nature Exploration: The Virgin Islands National Park offers numerous hiking trails that lead to stunning viewpoints, secluded beaches, and hidden natural wonders. Hiking together through lush forests and along scenic coastal paths, or even through the remaining sugar plantations, can be a romantic and adventurous experience.
5. Water Activities: St. John offers excellent opportunities for water activities. You can go snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, or paddle boarding to explore the vibrant underwater world and hidden coves. You may also consider renting a sailboat or catamaran for a private cruise around the island, or if you love to fish, there’s plenty to go around.
6. Romantic Dining: St. John features a variety of romantic dining options, from beachfront restaurants to intimate hillside eateries. Enjoy candlelit dinners with panoramic ocean views, savor Caribbean cuisine made with fresh local ingredients, and toast to your love in a charming island setting.
7. Eco-Luxury Resorts: St. John offers a selection of eco-luxury resorts and villas that provide an intimate and luxurious experience. These accommodations blend seamlessly with the natural surroundings, offering stunning views, private pools, spa services, and personalized attention.
8. Easy Accessibility: St. John is easily accessible from St. Thomas via a short ferry ride. It is a U.S. territory, so U.S. citizens do not need a passport to travel there, making it convenient for couples looking for a hassle-free honeymoon.
Honeymoon Resorts to Stay in at St. John:
St. John offers a range of luxurious and romantic resorts perfect for honeymooners. Here are some of the top honeymoon resorts in St. John:
- (My number one pick) The Westin St. John Resort Villas: $669/night. Located on Great Cruz Bay, The Westin St. John Resort Villas offers spacious and beautifully appointed villas with private balconies or patios. The resort boasts a beachfront location, multiple pools, a spa, and a variety of on-site dining options.
- The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas: $1,099/night. Although not located directly on St. John, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas is a short boat ride away and offers an exceptional honeymoon experience. This luxurious resort features elegant accommodations, a pristine beach, a spa, multiple dining options, and stunning ocean views.
- Gallows Point Resort: $425/night. Situated on a peninsula overlooking Cruz Bay, Gallows Point Resort offers luxurious suites with panoramic ocean views and private balconies. The resort features a private beach, an infinity pool, a restaurant, and a peaceful ambiance perfect for honeymooners.
- Cinnamon Bay Resort & Campground: $290+/night. For honeymooners seeking a unique and adventurous experience, Cinnamon Bay Resort & Campground offers eco-friendly accommodations and the chance to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of St. John. The resort features beachfront cottages, camping facilities, and a variety of outdoor activities, such as snorkeling, kayaking, and hiking.
- Grande Bay Resort: $425/night. Located in Cruz Bay, Grande Bay Resort offers luxurious condominium-style accommodations with fully equipped kitchens and stunning ocean views. The resort provides easy access to restaurants, shops, and the beautiful beaches of St. John.
Each of these resorts offers various amenities and services designed to create a memorable and romantic honeymoon experience. It is recommended to check their websites or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information, availability, and pricing. With its pristine beauty, tranquil ambiance, outdoor activities, and romantic settings, St. John is a captivating destination that offers a perfect blend of relaxation, adventure, and romance for your honeymoon. If you’re still not sure, let’s take a look at St. Croix as another amazing honeymoon option.
Last but certainly not least is St. Croix. St. Croix is the largest of all three US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts, the least visited, and the best for food, culture, and history. With fewer tourists in your way and a stunning island at hand, I highly recommend taking the tour of the home of Captain Morgan Rum. Let’s just say that when I went there, the rum was thoroughly enjoyed. There’s plenty of snorkeling and kayaking in the Bioluminescent Bay that can’t be missed. Watching the world light up around your boat at night sets in motion the perfect backdrop for every honeymooner. Additionally, St. Croix is an excellent choice for a honeymoon destination due to several compelling reasons:
- Natural Beauty: St. Croix boasts stunning natural beauty, including pristine beaches, crystal-clear turquoise waters, and lush tropical landscapes. The island offers a picturesque backdrop for romantic walks along the shore, sunset strolls, and breathtaking views.
- Seclusion and Privacy: St. Croix is known for its tranquil atmosphere and uncrowded beaches. It provides a peaceful and intimate setting for honeymooners looking to escape the hustle and bustle of more popular tourist destinations. You can find secluded spots to enjoy romantic moments and create lifelong memories together.
- Outdoor Activities: The island offers a wide range of outdoor activities that honeymooners can enjoy together. You can go snorkeling or scuba diving to explore vibrant coral reefs, take a romantic sailboat cruise, embark on a hiking adventure through tropical rainforests, or enjoy water sports such as kayaking or paddle boarding.
- Historical and Cultural Charm: St. Croix has a rich history and a unique blend of Caribbean and Danish cultures. Explore the historic towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted, visit charming colonial-era buildings, and immerse yourselves in the island’s cultural heritage through local art, music, and cuisine.
- Delicious Cuisine: St. Croix is renowned for its diverse and flavorful culinary scene. From fresh seafood to Caribbean delicacies and fusion cuisine, you can indulge in romantic candlelit dinners at waterfront restaurants or try local food at vibrant food festivals and street markets.
- Luxury Resorts and Accommodations: St. Croix offers a range of luxury resorts and accommodations, many of which cater specifically to honeymooners. These resorts provide world-class amenities, spa services, private beaches, and honeymoon packages designed to make your stay memorable and romantic.
- Easy Accessibility: St. Croix is a U.S. territory, so U.S. citizens do not need a passport to travel there. It has direct flights from several major U.S. cities, making it a convenient and accessible destination for honeymooners.
Overall, St. Croix offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, seclusion, outdoor activities, cultural experiences, and luxury accommodations, making it an ideal choice for a romantic and unforgettable honeymoon.
Resorts to Stay in At St. Croix:
As St. Croix is the largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands, offers a variety of beautiful honeymoon resorts where you can relax, enjoy the stunning beaches, and create unforgettable memories. Here are some of the best honeymoon resorts in St. Croix.
- (My number one choice): The Buccaneer: $476/night. Located on a secluded stretch of beach, The Buccaneer is a luxurious and historic resort that offers breathtaking ocean views and a serene atmosphere. It features elegant rooms, a spa, multiple pools, and a golf course.
- The Palms at Pelican Cove: $251/night. This intimate and romantic resort is situated on a white sandy beach and offers spacious rooms with private balconies or patios. The Palms at Pelican Cove provides a tranquil setting and features a pool, beachfront dining, and water sports activities.
- The Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa: $255/night. Nestled among lush greenery and set on a beautiful beach, this resort provides a blend of natural beauty and luxury. The Renaissance offers stylish rooms, a spa, an infinity pool, and access to a championship golf course.
- Sand Castle on the Beach: $281/night. Known for its laid-back vibe and picturesque beachfront location, Sand Castle on the Beach offers charming accommodations in a boutique-style setting. The resort features an outdoor pool, a beachfront restaurant, and easy access to water sports and activities.
- Divi Carina Bay Beach Resort & Casino: $644/night. This all-inclusive resort is located on a secluded beach and offers a range of amenities for honeymooners. Divi Carina Bay features comfortable rooms, multiple dining options, a casino, water sports activities, and an outdoor pool.
- The Waves at Cane Bay: $349/night. Situated on the island’s north shore, The Waves at Cane Bay offers spacious and modern accommodations with stunning ocean views. The resort provides direct beach access, a pool, an oceanfront restaurant, and easy access to diving and snorkeling spots.
So, as you can see, Saint Croix is a captivating island in the Caribbean known for its pristine beaches, turquoise waters, and vibrant culture. As the largest but least visited island, St. Croix offers natural beauty like none other and beautiful resorts that cater to your needs. Each of these resorts offers various honeymoon packages and amenities designed to make your stay extra special. It’s recommended to check their websites or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information, availability, and pricing.
If you are staying on an island without an airport or just want to island hop, here’s the link to the ferry schedules for your convenience.
Where do You Choose?
Now that you have a boatload of information to sort through, which place will you choose as your top US Virgin Island Honeymoon Resorts as your destination? St. Thomas is the island with the nightlife. St. John, the island with an unbelievable national park and vibe of serenity; or St. Croix, the island with the least number of people and the Bioluminescent Bay to make your fantasies a reality? I can tell you that after researching all of these beautiful places, as a solo female traveler, I can’t wait to find that special someone to also enjoy these experiences of a lifetime! Until then, I’m going to Travel Till You Drop!